Your new company
An entertainment technology company that partner with clients to enable creative flow across the production life cycle with a suite of secure communication and content management solutions. Their award-winning products for the media and entertainment industries include production solutions as well as high-performance recording and workflow tools in support of the leading camera vendors for feature, television, and commercial production. Designed for filmmakers by filmmakers.
Your new role
As a member of the DevOps team you will be rotating between two areas within DevOps, either Backend or Squad support. Within our Backend team you will be looking after our operational systems, enhancing our monitoring, improving our CI/CD toolchain and in general working on projects that enhance the DevOps provision of service to the organisation as a whole.
Within our Squad support team, you will work in quarterly cycles aligned to a cross-functional development team working on iterating our customer facing SaaS solution and helping design, govern, architect and implement new AWS based services. This could be designing a new authentication system, figuring out how to scale out our database clusters, helping to understand the use cases of our petabytes of storage or one of a myriad of challenges.
As part of the DevOps team you will have a security, scalability and cost focused approach to problem solving and in return work on cutting edge solutions for the media and entertainment industry. With some of the largest media companies on the planet using our services you are a key part of the organisation helping our developers design and implement new architectures that help drive our business forward.
Our platforms are 100% contained within AWS and are made up of petabytes of storage, lambdas, microservices, EC2 instances, auto-scaling ECS clusters, batch and real-time encoding and transcoding of media all automated through our infrastructure-as-code CI/CD based deployment methodologies. Taking part in an on-call rotation you will help ensure the availability and performance of our systems and help us maintain the multiple 9’s of availability that our customers expect.
As a DevOps engineer you will be comfortable working with highly available, scalable AWS based architectures, be comfortable with cloudformation, ansible and infrastructure as code. You will be a confident linux engineer and able to work independently and able to deliver high quality work to a schedule.
What you'll need to succeed
- Experience configuring and managing Amazon Web Service infrastructure deployments.
- Help manage our cloud architecture, including capacity planning, increased availability, resiliency, monitoring and alerts, security, and deployment strategy.
- Develop and document new processes, and make it a priority to assist in knowledge sharing with the team.
- Participate in on-call rotation (with american and asian colleagues)
- Minimum 3-5 years operations experience supporting a 24x7 production environment demonstrating increasing responsibilities over time.
- Confident and capable in your AWS abilities
- Self motivated and passionate about learning, versed in the latest DevOps philosophies.
- Strong time management, interpersonal, and automation skills.
- Familiarity with configuration management tools (Ansible, Cloudformation).
- Experience working on optimization of an AWS based LAMP stack.
- Strong scripting skills in automating standard tasks, with willingness to improve. Python, Ruby, or Bash experience preferred.
- Strong skills in Linux system administration and standard services (HTTPS, DNS, SMTP, NFS).Knowledge of container technology (such as Docker) to run multiple services independently on the same hardware.
- Understanding of networking, routing, and security concepts (ideally: AWS security groups, IAM roles, VPC routing, subnetting).
- Skills working with MySQL/RDS database systems.
- Dedication to monitoring and alerting systems. We currently use CloudWatch, DataDog, NewRelic and SumoLogic.
- Experience working with a distributed/remote team.
Additional Preferred Experience
What you'll get in return
- Worked with large datasets and storage needs, in the range of Petabytes or larger.
- Have integrated into multiple engineering teams, and can integrate into different workflows and toolsets easily.
- Worked with, and feel confident reading and contributing to, multiple interpreted and compiled programming languages.
- Used scheduling systems (Such as Apache Mesos or Kubernetes) to coordinate service availability.
- Have a strong understanding of security best practices in the Public Cloud (such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud).
What you need to do now
- Competitive salary
- Commuter Benefits
- Recreational card
- Learning and development support
- Welcoming and friendly culture
- Flexible working supported
- Office/remote working supported
- and more…
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.